Sunday, June 14, 2009

Performance blog: NACUSAsf Avenue Winds Concert - June 6, 2009

The Avenue Winds premiered the 3rd and 5th movements of my woodwind quintet Visions of a Landscape on Saturday, June 6, 2009 at the Portola Valley Presbyterian Church in Portola Valley.  Portola Valley is just west of Stanford University.  The members of the Avenue Winds include Melanie Keller, flute and piccolo, Jessica Boelter, oboe, Ricki Nelson, clarinet, Charles Moehnke, bassoon and Cathleen Torres, horn.  A fun fact about this group is that I am friends with Cathleen and we went to undergrad at Cal State Hayward.

The whole concert included movements of 11 different pieces from members of the San Francisco Chapter of the National Association of Composers, USA (NACUSA).  Overall, the Avenue Winds did an amazing job presenting a variety of works.  It is not easy putting together 1 or 2 pieces of new music, but presenting a concert of new/recent works is an unbelievable feat!  My piece was 2nd on the program.  This performance ranks up there as one of the best performances of one of my pieces.  The only other performance that can compare is my cello piece Lines in the Sand performed by Gabrielle Arness at my doctoral recital in 2005.  That was an amazing performance.

I am excited and eager to hear this piece performed in its entirety on Saturday, July 18, 2009 by the Avenue Winds.  I was really excited when they performed the fast movement (5th movement) at the tempo I indicated.  In my experience the faster movements are usually performed slower than indicated and even then the performance is not always accurate.

This is a piece I am really excited about not only because it is being performed by an amazing group, but it is also a collaboration with a good friend of mine and Bay Area photographer Micheal Vickers.  A few years ago Micheal and I discussed the idea of collaborating; my music with his photos.  Visions of a Landscape is the resultant piece.  The five movements are based on five pictures of a similar theme: landscapes.  I enjoyed collaborating with Micheal and I hope we can do it again. 

No comments: