Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Performance blog: UCSC Chamber Music Concert - June 2, 2009

On June 2, 2009 the UC Santa Cruz Flute Choir presented the premiere performance of my Shadows of Dreams. The ensemble consisted of Cheyenne Montalbin, 1st flute, Sarah Hughes and Nick Ross 2nd flutes, Lisa Ryland, alto flute and Hilary Armstrong, bass flute. The ensemble sis a really good job with my piece. This is a piece that demands that the performers be versatile as it requires different playing styles in the various moods.

The whole concert was a mix of the different chamber groups on campus. The ensembles ranged from guitar quartet to a bass quartet. Unfortunately, I was unable to stay through the whole concert. My wife and I had to leave after my piece was performed because we had about a two and a half hour drive to get home.

I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the performance. In a previous entry I talked about the final rehearsal prior to this concert. The ensemble suffered from balance and intonation issues. Fortunately during the performance some of those issues were fixed. The ensemble sounded more balanced and phrases that stuck out in the rehearsal blended better in the concert hall.

All-in-all this was a very positive experience for me. I wish I could be there on June 5th as the ensemble is scheduled to play the piece again at the flute studio concert. I trust that they will do as good of a job. Greer has promised to get me a recording of both performances so we will see.

I would like to thank Greer Ellison for the opportunity to write Shadows of Dreams. I hope to work with her in the future.

No comments: