Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Composing Session: January 16-17, 2010

As I stated in an earlier posting I have been reworking my setting of Mutability.  I sat down to work in it more this weekend.  One of the major changes is switching the time signature from 5/4 to 3/4.  So I started this weekend by reworking the vocal line.  Some changes are necessary so that certain syllables fall on strong beats and some on weak beats.  As I was doing this transition I started to notice something.  The accompaniment follows the melody a little and one aspect that was brought out through this reworking is a waltz-like feeling.  So I started to apply this felling to the accompaniment.  From what I have recomposed it seems to work well.

I spent time on Sunday working on a new intro using thematic devices and harmonies from the original sketch.  I am uncertain if this new intro is necessary or if it will be a secondary theme.  To implement this as a successful secondary theme I would need to transpose it into a different key area.  One of my biggest concerns about the first sketch was the stagnant nature of the harmonic language.

I think I need to continue to rework the vocal setting into 3/4 before deciding on the new material.  I want to see if I can draw out more thematic ideas, as I have shown above, before I continue recomposing the accompaniment.

No comments: