Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Composing Session: March 6, 2010

On Saturday I sat down and began composing the piece for Adam Noel's group.  I have decided to open with a simple eight-note, eight-beat ostinato.  I plan on adding layers to the ostinato creating some variation and development.  So far I have sketched out the first sixteen measures.  In this sketch I have started to introduce the thematic material upon which I will base the piece.

Right now my overall formal plan is a simple ternary form: A B A.  The A sections will be played at a moderate tempo with a contrasting B section in a faster tempo.  I do need to consider the level of the ensemble for which I am composing.  I do not anticipate complex rhythmic structures in the B section.  This formal plan is similar to my first piece for wind ensemble Homage where I used a ternary form and the motivic material was derived from a melodic bass ostinato.

My working title for this piece is Night Sky.  I do not really have a reason for this and I am unsure if I will stick with this title.  I am still thinking about it, but somehow it seems right.

No comments: