Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Truly Inspirational Story

I just finished reading The Soloist by Steve Lopez.  I realize I am behind the times, but it was on my "to read" list for a long time.  I was completely blown away by this book.  It is, by far, the best book I have read in the last year, if not longer.

This book describes the unlikely, but somehow destined friendship between Los Angeles Times columnist Steve Lopez and a homeless, mentally-ill, but massively talented musician Nathaniel Ayers.  In a way this book has reminded me why it is that I compose.  If I can make a positive impact on one person's life then it is all worth it.

This is one of those rare stories that makes you wonder why someone did not create this story before.  Some of the events and the reality of the situation would make for great fiction.  I am not saying that this story is fiction.  I know it is a true story.  I am only saying that this story would make for great fiction.  It is amazing to see this journey unfold.  Mr. Lopez set out to positively impact Mr. Ayers's life.  Little did Mr. Lopez know that Mr. Ayers would have a profound impact on his life.

As I was reading this book I could not help, but get emotionally involved.  I found myself rooting for Mr. Ayers to move indoors and take steps to getting better.  I also felt similar disappointment and anguish that I am sure Mr. Lopez felt when Mr. Ayers continued to show reluctance to further help.  I also remember sharing in the joy when Mr. Ayers finally moved indoors.

It was quite amazing to read about the outpouring of generosity people have afforded Mr. Ayers.  Some donated instruments and some donated time. It is truly heart warming to know that people still care for their fellow man.

Since finishing the book I have checked out the website for the foundation set up in Mr. Ayers's name.  The organization works for the benefit of the artistically gifted mentally ill.  The website is www.naayers.org and I recommend that you check it out and see how you can help.  I have added a link to the organization on the left and will soon add one at New Music Forum.  I was excited to read that in the near future Mr. Ayers will be releasing a CD titled Putting on Ayers.  I am looking forward to purchasing a copy.  I am intrigued by Mr. Ayers's talent and would love to listen to it.  Also, on this website you will find links to the columns by Mr. Lopez about Mr. Ayers, a link to the 60 Minutes segment and other great and useful information.

Not only is this a story about Mr. Ayers, but it also shows the harsh realities of the homeless problem in Los Angeles.  At times it highlights how we tend to cast them aside along with the mentally ill.  My hope is that there will be a change for the better in this situation.  This is truly an inspirational story and I am thankful that Mr. Lopez has brought this story to life.  Mr. Ayers is a talent that deserves the spotlight.

No comments: