Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sketch score complete

Yesterday I was able to complete the sketch score for Night Sky.  After a long process that has taken the form and scope through three different phases, the piece is sketched.  Night Sky ended up being a single movement work.  I am quite relieved that the sketch process is finished.

My next step is to orchestrate the piece.  During this process I will add additional layers of counterpoint or sustained chords as I feel necessary.  It has been a long time since I composed a piece for this large of an ensemble.  I look forward to orchestrating Night Sky.  I have always enjoyed the orchestration process.  To me it is a different type of compositional process that is almost like painting.  It is in this process that color is added giving the piece its sound world.  My hope is to have the orchestration done by mid-June.

No comments: