Thursday, October 30, 2008

Listening Journal: October 20-26, 2008

I thought it would be a good idea to start posting the music that I listen to each week.  My intent is to post this weekly journal on Sundays or Mondays.  The journal fills two needs: 1. It will show you the music I am listening to and give insight to my influences.  2. This will "keep me honest" in my listening activities.  Listening is an important part of understanding.  As Aaron Copland wrote in What to Listen for in Music, "The key to understanding of new music is repeated hearings." (page 150)

The order in which the pieces are listed, is the order in which I listened to the pieces.  Here is my listening journal for October 20th-26th:

Pascal Dusapin - La Melancholia (1991) "opératorio" for solo voices, chorus, winds, orchestra and tape
Magnus Lindberg - Chorale (2002) for orchestra
Alfred Schnittke - Stille Musik (1979) for violin and cello
Joseph Dangerfield - The Waves Roll on, Thundering and Shimmering for large ensemble
Kaija Saariaho - Mirrors (1998) for flute and cello
Kaija Saariaho - Verblendungen (1984) for orchestra and tape

No comments: