Tuesday, October 21, 2008

An opportunity unfolds

I was trading emails with Sarah Morris, a flautist, whom I met this summer at the 6th Annual Festival of Contemporary Music in San Francisco.  I had sent her a copy of the score for a solo flute piece I composed back in 2003, Not With, but Not Alone.  Well, through the course of our "conversation" Sarah mentioned that she plays in the flute choir at UC Santa Cruz.  I expressed interest in possibly composing a piece for that group.  Sarah sent me the contact information of the director of the ensemble, Greer Ellison.

On Sunday, I wrote to Professor Ellison asking if she is looking for new music.  I expressed interest in composing a piece for her group.  I received an enthusiastic reply.  Long story short, I will be working on a commission for the UCSC flute choir.  This works well for my plans.  As I mentioned in my previous post, some of the ideas I am working on seem to be appropriate for the flute.  Also, this is exciting because I know this piece will be performed at least once and possibly a few times.

No comments: