Thursday, November 6, 2008

Fleshing out ideas

The past two days have been productive composing days.  I have been trying to figure out the opening texture of the piece.  I have been working with a couple of ideas.  To see one of the ideas, please see my October 31st post.  What I consider the opening of my flute quartet is starting to come together.  I am not to the point yet where I am finished fleshing out the ideas.  However, the basic structure for this section is there.

I will admit that I have struggled with this.  I think part of my problem was that some of the gestures were not idiomatic for the instrument.  Some of these are ideas that I really like and I wanted them in this piece.  However, I believe that some of the gestures would work better with instruments that sustain, like a piano, or resonate, like a glockenspiel.  Unfortunately, at this time, I am not working with those instruments.  I found that I needed to work with ideas that are more suited for a quartet of flutes.

I can say that I am able to see this piece taking shape and that pleases me.

No comments: