Sunday, November 9, 2008

A progression of sketches


Sketch Score 11/6/08




Outline Sketch 11/6/08




Sketch Score 11/5/08


The three images above are a few of the sketches from my composing sessions on November 5th and 6th.  There are two sketch scores and one outline sketch.  The outline sketch bridges the two sketch scores.  All of these sketches focus on the same opening group of measures.  The sketch score dated 11/6/08 is the current revision of this section.  The first four measures did not change.  Measures 5 and forward were subject to the revision.

When I started to think about this piece on November 6th, I decided that the septuplet figure and even the quintuplet figure would not create the desired effect.  These are the ideas I referred to in my last post as needing an instrument that resonates.  So, as I was thinking about it, I began to work on the outline sketch.  I figured that there should be some counterpoint.  I got rid of some of the figurations and reworked the section so that the pace and texture are more like the first four measures.

My intent here is to illustrate how I got from the first sketch to the current one.  The third staff system of the outline sketch is where the reworking begins.  The small sketch at the top of the page is incorporated in measure 13 of the outline sketch.  It is not seen in the sketch score because this page only goes up to measure 12, so it will be on the next page.

No comments: