Thursday, November 13, 2008

Multiple streams

Before I sat down to compose today, I was listening to Anton Webern's Passacaglia, op. 1.  While listening, this musical idea came to mind.  The idea is a variation of a motive I heard.  It is not a melodic idea as much as an accompanimental idea.  So, of course, my mind would not let it go.  I worked with it and played with it tonight.  I composed a melodic line that can go with it and I will probably spend time developing it in the coming days.

I noticed that there are similarities in this idea with another that I have briefly worked on.  Unfortunately, the material I composed tonight has no immediate connection with the introduction I am working on.  However, I do believe that they can all be a part of a larger piece.

I have toyed with the idea of composing multiple movements.  Right now, I am more interested in composing a larger single-movement work.  As I work on these various sections I do need to keep looking at how they all relate, in order to compose a cohesive piece.  I do not want to give this piece a patchwork feel, by forcing these ideas together.

No comments: