Monday, February 23, 2009

Goals and Progress

My goal for this week is to compose at least one hour each day.  The time spent will be in addition to the compositional-related activities such as reading, listening and score study.

One thing I have learned as a composer is that there are times when you have to push through and make time to compose.  Whenever I take a break from composing and I have a difficult time getting back into it, I like to create that goal.  During the first couple of days back I often feel as if I am forcing things out.  Sometimes I will struggle and sit frustrated with my progress, but everything I do during those days is important.  I need to remind myself that I can always go back and revise, expand or edit the work I did.  The act of composing is a beneficial thing.

Today at the end of my studio time, I was thinking about the scope of the piece.  This is something that I believe a composer should often do.  Then this thought came to mind.  This thought helps to define my intent for Shadows of Dreams.  Here is that thought:


Sections float in and out like disjointed dreams.  Different textures and feelings permeate the various scenes.  Yet there is something oddly reminiscent, like a unifying element.

No comments: