Sunday, February 22, 2009

Status of the composition

Today was my first good day composing in quite a while.  I spent a lot of time revisiting my piece and thinking about the direction.  I almost feel that I spent too much time thinking.  I was starting to become indecisive and I started to doubt what I was doing.  I was able to let go and push forward with what I was trying to do at first.  In my composing session, I was able to connect the 2 sections that I was working on and now I have about 3-1/2 minutes of music.

The other "breakthrough" I has today was the title.  For the longest time I have been working without a title.  I do not know if that was causing a subconscious mental block, but I feel as if I had a hard time thinking of the piece as a real composition without some sort of title.  I have decided to title this piece Shadows of Dreams.  It is funny, but after I wrote the title down and started to think about it, the doubts I had earlier in the session seemed silly.

I think I am at a point where I need to push through and continue to work on this piece.  I need to remember that I can always go back and rewrite sections that don't make sense, or do not fit later on.

No comments: