Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Influential Pieces

Every now and then I think about what composers influence my music.  There are pieces by these composers that I turn to time and time again.  Some of these pieces directly impact my compositional style. Others are just great pieces to which I enjoy listening.  I thought that it would be a good idea to share these pieces and write about why they are influential pieces.

I believe that doing this will give me a better understanding of this music.  Also this could not only help me to better develop my compositional voice, but to better understand my musical output.  In addition these write ups will help me in my research of color music.

This week I will make the first posting in this series.  The first piece to be presented will be Kaija Saariaho's Cendres for alto flute, cello and piano.

No comments: