Wednesday, December 8, 2010

New Blog: Color Music

Last week I started a new blog.  This blog will focus on a certain area of interest of mine: color music.  I began doing research on this topic about five years ago when I was working towards a Ph. D in Music Composition at the University of Oregon.

I have found that there are two primary areas of color music.  The first is synaesthesia, the ability to see color in relation to sound and/or music.  The second is timbre.  Using various combinations of instruments and effects to add color to the music.

The purpose of the Color Music blog is to present my findings from my research and to help organize my thoughts on the subject.  A secondary purpose is to possibly stimulate discussion that will help further my research.  In this blog I will clearly define color music.  I will also discuss the history of color music, present musical examples and their composers.

The concept of color music is not an original one.  I do not take credit for creating the term or genre.  My purpose is to create a definition of the term and identify the components that go into creating color music.  I am also going to develop a listening list that will help to further define the genre.

I invite you over to check out the blog and feel free to contribute comments, questions or suggestions for composers and pieces to consider.  The website is colormusicandsound.blogspot.com or you can just click the Color Music Blog link on the left.

No comments: