Monday, December 13, 2010

"A" section sketch done

This weekend I completed the sketch of the A section for Time in Memoriam.  I started off by working on the sections that needed to be filled out.  Then I spent some time focusing on adding dynamics and some expressions to the parts.

There was one section that needs quite a bit of work.  I had composed a flute melody that leads into an oboe and alto sax melody.  This section was designed to act as a transition into the B section.  As I continued to work on this section I realized that this music calls for more development.  Rather than cutting this section short to retain the transitional nature or allowing the music to be developed at this time, I decided to move these sixteen measures to after the B section.  This will give me the opportunity to develop these melodies and motives as I want.  Also, after thinking about it more I feel as if this melody will work well coming out of the fast section.

There are still a couple of minor things I need to revise before the A section is finalized.  Right now my plan of action is to continue on into the B section.  I can make most of these minor revisions later.  I have some clear ideas for the B section that I am excited to work on.  More details about this will follow.

No comments: