Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Another rearrangement

I have said it before, but this time I know it will be the last.  I have changed to form of the piece yet again.

The other day I realized what was bothering me about Time in Memoriam: the opening.  It is not that the opening I had composed was bad, rather it did not create enough or an impact.  As it was the introduction consisted of long tones that slowly faded in.  It was more textural rather than thematic.  For a high school piece it was not the way I wanted to go.

I moved the clarinet solo and subsequent section to the beginning after a four measure chimes introduction. I did keep the textural section as it does what I want it to do.  I realized that it was just not suitable for the beginning.

With this shift the music seems to flow better.  The opening is stronger and that will help to make the piece stronger.  Of course, this is what I have thought with all of the changes I have made up to now.  Why is this time different?  No matter what happens I am going to push on and concentrate on finishing Time in Memoriam.

No comments: