Monday, March 2, 2009

Listening Journal: February 23-March 1, 2009

This week my listening journal is virtually non-existent.  This is because I have focused the majority of my studio time to composing and reading.  The reading will be the focus of a future post.  While there are only 2 pieces listed, they are both important and massive works, especially the Lutoslawski.  His Symphony No. 2 holds a great influence on my music.  I first heard this piece in 2001 while I was a student at Bowling Green State University.  This was the first piece I listened to and studied that employs aleatoric counterpoint, a technique I utilize from time to time in my own music.

Pierre Boulez - Livre pour cordes (1968) for orchestral strings
Witold Lutoslawski - Symphony No. 2 (1967) for orchestra

No comments: