Sunday, March 15, 2009

Musical Readings

For the past month and a half I have been reading Richard Steinitz's biography of György Ligeti.  This book was published in 2003, a few years before the composer's death.  Ligeti, a Hungarian-Jew was born in 1923 and it is fascinating to read how his life was affected by the rise of Hitler and the Russian invasion of Romania.  It is important to note that Ligeti did not develop into the composer he was until he was in his thirties.  It was during this time when his life became more stable.

From what I have read so far, Steinitz's text is well written.  He shows, albeit indirectly, how Ligeti's early-life experiences helped to shape his music.  Reading this book has been an eye-opening experience for me.  I have learned a lot of interesting and valuable information about Ligeti and his music.

After I have finished reading this book, I will post a full review.  Right now I will say that this book is worth reading.

No comments: