Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Shaping of the Song

I have finally made, in my mind, substantial progress with the song Mutability.  The texture and the vocal setting are finally starting to take shape.  The texture is one thing in particular with which I have been struggling.

When I am uncomfortable composing for a particular medium, in this case voice and piano, I tend to fall back on compositional styles that are easier for me to develop.  This often includes slower devices, such as tempo, harmonic development and overall texture.  My tendency towards these things stems from the type of music I listen to.  My favorite composers include Kaija Saariaho, Gyorgy Ligeti, Tristan Murail and Olivier Messiaen.  These composers have a lot in common in terms of texture, harmonic development and melody.  I do not necessarily draw from specific pieces from these composers, but their output holds a tremendous influence over me.

Falling back on familiar devices is not a bad thing.  However, the piece I am currently working on is a song cycle for alto voice and piano.  Composing a series of songs, each in a similar vein become pedantic, almost boring.  Not only to the listener, but the performers and myself.  I need to challenge and push myself to do different things with the medium.

I have always had a clear concept of the texture for both the vocal setting and the accompaniment for Shelley's text Mutability.  The issue I have been struggling with is realizing that concept.  I want the accompaniment to be fluid, flowing freely.  Almost like waves that outline the harmony and carry the voice.  My concept for the vocal setting is a floating melody that sits on top of the accompaniment, letting the piano drive the piece rhythmically.

I have done a few drafts of both the piano accompaniment and the vocal setting.  It has taken me a few weeks to create the shape and texture the music has become.  While the shaping of this song has been a struggle, it is a vital part of the composition.  Now that the ground work is laid and the outline of the first stanza is complete, the other three stanzas should fall into place relatively quickly.

No comments: