Sunday, December 13, 2009

Composing Session: December 12, 2009

So I was finally able to lock myself away in my office and spend some time composing.  It has been a while since I have been able to dedicate half a day to composing.  I did get a lot accomplished.  I have the outline of the accompaniment done and I have marked where the vocal part of the last two stanzas will lay.

I decided to break one of my rules of composing in order to make a push to get this song done.  I did a lot of the composing on Saturday into Finale.  This means that I entered my previous sketch of the first two stanzas into Finale, edited it and composed more in the program rather than using pencil and paper.  Normally, I like to have a hand written sketch of the score before inputting it into Finale.  However, I really want to finish this song and I decided that it would be easier for me to compose into Finale.  I do not think that there is anything wrong with this method of composing.  This is just not how I would like to compose. I enjoy sitting at the keyboard and hand writing my sketches and scores.

My hope is that in the next day or so I can spend time fleshing out the vocal line and complete the score for Mutability.  After this song is done, I will only have one short song left to write.  For this song, I will use the text A Clear Midnight by Walt Whitman.  I already have a couple of sketches for the accompaniment that I might use. We will see.

No comments: