Tuesday, December 8, 2009

"Mutability" Update

This weekend I did not spend nearly enough time composing.  The time that I did spend was productive.  I reworked the sketch I have been working on for the accompaniment of the second stanza.  Initially I had the accompaniment alternating sonorities every two measures.  The thematic and rhythmic material is similar, but the harmonies changed every two measures.  I felt as if this was too predictable so I rearranged the measures to alternate the harmonies every measure.  Essentially, I switched measures 2 & 3, 6 & 7, etc.

After playing through this new "arrangement" I was happier wit the way things are taking shape.  Now I need to start composing the vocal line and integrate it with the accompaniment.  I have also been thinking that the accompaniment for the fourth stanza will be nearly identical to the first, giving the song a sense of return.  I may change my mind on this, however.  I am not yet completely sure.

No comments: