Sunday, December 6, 2009

Non-Classical Musical Influences

Over the past month I have been thinking about what influences me as a composer.  There are many classical composers from whom I draw inspiration.  These composers include Kaija Saariaho, Olivier Messiaen, Iannis Xenakis, Pascal Dusapin and Gyorgy Ligeti.  There are, however, many non-classical musical influences from which I draw inspiration.  These people are not merely musicians whose music I enjoy listening to, but rather their song writing, musicianship and artistry have a tremendous hold over me.

The list of these influences is not long, but the names are widely recognized:
   Bill Champlin
   Chicago
   Eric Clapton
   Eagles
   Billy Joel
In future posts I plan on talking about each in some detail highlighting songs, albums and what it is about these musicians that influences my work.

This train of thought has really come about since my wife and I saw Bill Champlin perform live in Lodi, CA last month.  I was absolutely blown away by this concert.  It was the first non-classical concert I have attended since 1998.  I had forgotten what kind of energy is generated at such events.  Especially when the artist truly enjoys what they are doing.

Since then I have been looking at the non-classical music to which I listen.  There are about seven or eight musicians and groups that I go back to time after time.  Of those musicians the one I listed above hold the most influence over me.  All of these people are tremendous musicians and song writers.  They are not just mere entertainers that perform other people's songs.  The create and perform their own music.

No comments: