Thursday, February 11, 2010

Études Scéniques

I wanted to take the time to describe the idea behind Études Scéniques.  The thought of working on a junior high school band piece is somewhat intimidating.  I am used to composing more complex pieces for college level or higher performers.  Theoretically I could just jump in and start composing the piece by working on a few melodies and ideas until I found something that I like.  However, I realize that it has been a while since I have composed melodic music; much longer since composing tonal music.

At this point I do not feel comfortable starting work on such a piece without some preparation.  I figured that the best and easiest way to work on melodic writing is to compose for a solo instrument other than piano.  Currently I an working with the mindset that these études are for trumpet.  However, I am open to other instruments.  I guess I am thinking trumpet because I can play that instrument (albeit not very well) and it would be fun to learn these pieces.

This current set of études will consist of 5-6 pieces.  Each étude is designed to depict a specific scenic image (hence the title).  I have been thinking about the long-range scope of the études.  I am toying with the idea that I will continue to expand this series of études when beginning a new project.  In a way I am thinking of it as being similar to Bartok's Mikrokosmos in how each piece gradually increases in difficulty and technique.  No matter how this series grows, I think that this could be a good way for me to explore some ideas for the piece prior to composing.

No comments: