Thursday, February 4, 2010

New Opportunity

I am currently in talks with a friend of mine to compose a piece for his middle school band.  We are looking at the possibility of a performance this coming fall.  As a result I have decided to yet again put aside Dream Cycle.  A motivating reason to put aside the songs is that a piece for middle school band is a different technique than my "usual" style.

I have been thinking a lot about this.  One of the primary challenges in composing such a piece would be simplicity.  The melodic and harmonic content would need to be much more simple than the music I normally compose.  Because of this I have been considering composing a series of etudes so that I can revisit the idea of simplicity.  These etudes would be for one or two instruments, though most likely one.  It is possible that some of the material created in these etudes could go into the band piece.

No comments: