Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Preparing for My Next Project

As I mentioned in my previous post, I have taken on a new project.  I was talking with a friend of mine, Adam Noel.  We talked about the possibility of me composing a piece for his middle school concert band.  I am definitely on board with this project.  Adam is the instrumental music director at Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School in Moraga, CA.  I have know Adam since we were undergrads at California State University, Hayward.

In preparation for composing such a piece I have begun composing a series of études for a solo instrument. Most likely the instrument will be trumpet since that is an instrument I play.  However, I do think that these études could be transpose for just about any instrument.  These études are intended to be simple melodic studies so that I can prepare myself to compose a piece with simpler melodies and harmonic progressions.  The études will be relatively short exercises that will help develop not only my ability to compose melodies, but also the student's ability to play increasingly complex melodies.

Last night I composed the first in this particular set of études.  My plan is to compose five or six in this set before starting work on the piece for Adam's concert band.

No comments: