Monday, June 28, 2010

Increasing playability

Another of Adam's comments about Night Sky was in regards to the ostinato starting at measure 33.  The instruments that play the ostinato do not get a break for at least twenty four measures. (see example #1)  This is something that I forgot to consider.  I am accustomed to writing for college or professional performers and they know how to handle these types of situations.  I need to consider the fatigue factor.  Kids who are in that age group do not have the training or in some instances the lung capacity to play for long durations.


Example #1 - in the original key: E minor

There are two parts to this ostinato.  The tenor line which consists of primarily quarter notes.  Te bass line which either plays a pedal tone or an ascending half note line, depending on the measure.  I took a look at the instruments that play the ostinato and I made a list of those instruments.  I then redistributed those instruments into four groups.

Group 1: Bassoon, Tenor Sax and Baritone
Group 2: Bass Clarinet, Bari Sax and Tuba
Group 3: Alto Sax and Horn
Group 4: Trombone 1 and 2

I broke to ostinato into four measure sections.  Then I charted out which groups will play what part and section of the ostinato at what time.  Each group plays every other section with the exception of groups 1 and 2.  Groups 1 and 2 play the first eight measures of the ostinato as all groups play the first four measures. (see example #2)


Example #2 - in the new key: C minor

I like the effect this change will have.  I think the integrity of the ostinato remains.  I have smoothed out the transition between the sections as each group plays four measures plus one beat.  This change will also allow for variety and contrast which is needed in this section.  The different groupings will create color and textural changes which will make this section more interesting to listen to.  It does not hurt that the score looks more interesting as well.

No comments: