Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Preliminary thoughts on future projects

Now that I an about halfway through with the orchestration of Night Sky I have begun to think about what I am going to compose next.  I have a couple of projects lined up, though none have any firm performance dates yet.  I have talked with a high school band director Lee Morrison about composing a piece for his ensemble.  Lee and I have know each other since out days at Bowling Green State University.  While I am uncertain about starting another large ensemble piece right away I do have some ideas for this piece.  The first is the title: Time and Memoriam.  This is one of the few times in which the title has come to me before starting the piece.

As inferred by the title the piece will take on a reflective and possibly introspective mood.  Another initial idea I have is to incorporate the Dies Irae into the music.  I am thinking that this chant music will be one of the primary focuses of the piece.  I will try to reshape it and create new melodies from the pitch material to blend in creativity and originality.

Another project I have in mind is my second collaboration with photographer Micheal Vickers.  This time our idea is to do a "reverse" collaboration.  In our first collaboration I composed a woodwind quintet inspired by five different photographs of Micheal's.  This time he is going to take a series of photographs inspired by my music.

I am still try to decide the ensemble for which I will compose the music.  I am considering revising Birches for cello and bass.  If I were to do a revision of this piece I would ned to expand the instrumentation.  One thought is to add alto flute and bass clarinet.  This would allow for a variety of timbres between the instruments.  I am also considering adding only piano to the cello and bass.  The piano could be a good choice as it is able to create a wash of sound through the use of the pedal and can assist in percussive attacks.  Both of these are elements that I believe this piece needs.

As I have said, I am not sure which project to take on next.  I have been kicking around other ideas as well, but I wold need to contact the performers I have in mind prior to giving those projects too much thought.

No comments: