Thursday, June 3, 2010

The power of 3

My sketch score for Night Sky is predominantly an outline of the major themes, harmonies, rhythmic groupings and some counterpoint.  As I orchestrate the piece I find that I need to expand on my outline.  Aside from the usual octave (orchestral) doublings I need to add some inner voices.  I have been looking back at my previous wind ensemble piece Homage.  I found that I used quite a bit of parallel motion in thirds.  Not all of the motion is in thirds.  Some deviation is necessary to keep within the harmonic world.

I applied this technique to the theme that is heard over the ostinato beginning at measure 37.  Immediately I noticed a fuller sound when listening to the MIDI playback.  It is almost as if another dimension is added to the sound.

Of course I do not consider these remarks and ideas revolutionary.  They are techniques I have known and previously used.  I have composed primarily chamber music over the past few years.  So I do feel like I am rediscovering useful techniques.

No comments: