Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Orchestration and editing

I have noticed as I am orchestrating Night Sky that I have been making some substantial edits as well.  Not only have I been rewriting some melodies and themes to better fit the harmonies, but I have been moving some melodies.  Some moves are minor, a couple of beats or a measure or two so that the phrasing makes sense.  Other moves have been drastic.  For example, there was a four measure phrase that I moved about twelve to sixteen measures later.

For me, entering a score into Finale is another step in the editing process.  I always look for things to fix, layers to add or even measures to cut.  I guess that by working the orchestration into Finale I am going through my usual processes.  So far all of the edits are for the better.  However, I do find that I can get caught up trying to fix something that may not necessarily need to be fixed.  There is one melody that was only three measures and I spent over an hour over the course of a couple of days trying to expand the melody into four measures.  I finally found something I like, but I remember thinking, "is it really necessary to expand this melody?"  I do not want to get myself too caught up in the editing process.  It may take away from the orchestration.

No comments: