Monday, November 8, 2010

Composing Session: November 6-7, 2010

I did not get a lot accomplished this weekend; however, I was able to make some decisions and create a few sketches for Time in Memoriam.  I decided to move the eight measures in question to after the solo clarinet and woodwind section.  After listening to this passage a couple more times I realized that it is begging to be developed.  So I made the switch and will just open this section with the solo clarinet.

I spent some time yesterday sketching ideas to continue this section.  I was working on trying to give the tenor saxophone the melody.  While I have not come up with the right idea yet, I think that I like the shift in the timbre to a lower instrument.

I realized this weekend that in order to reach my durational goal for the A section (as a whole) I only need to compose 24-32 more measures.  While this is not necessarily a strict rule, this does change my approach a little.  The development towards the B section will not need to be drawn out as much as I had initially thought.  This does not cause any problems, it was just a good thing I realized this as it does alter my thought process on this section.  I am closer to finishing this section that I had thought.

No comments: