Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Concerning the Audience: Part 2

I have been thinking about the article I wrote about Górecki's quote about the audience.  One phrase has come to mind a few times that has some bearing on this subject.  That is: not wanting to choose is a choice. Quite simply, telling someone else to choose or refusing to make a decision is a choice.  The difference is that you are not concerned with the outcome of the decision making process.

When Górecki says, "I never write for my listeners" what he is really saying is that he is not writing what he thinks they would like.  He is composing what he wants.  Górecki further comments that, "I think about my audience, but I am not writing for them."  This statement is the key.  As composers we do think about the audience.  Our hope is that people will listen to the music we have composed.  The music should say what the composer wants and not what the composer thinks the audience wants to hear.

The point I am making here is that all composers are concerned about their audience.  We want the audience to listen.  Without them, there would be no reason to compose music.  The integrity of the music begins to be compromised when the composer concerns his or herself with what the audience may or may not want to hear.  My hope is that the audience will enjoy something new and take what they want away from the experience when they listen to my music.

No comments: