Monday, November 29, 2010

Filling and Shifting

Over the past week I have had little time to devote to composing.  However, the time I have spent has been highly productive.  On Wednesday, November 24th I spent time filling out some harmonies and adding counterpoint in measures 51-74 of Time in Memoriam.  There are still some moments in which I need to add in a couple of voices for the harmonies.  However, the majority of the A section is sketched.

The biggest change comes at measure 75.  I initially composed an "introductory" motif that led into the flute melody.  After looking closely at this section I began to feel that it does not work.  So I cut it out.  I try to live by the advice once given to me: if it does not add anything to the piece, then why keep it?  This cut moves the flute melody up three measures and the transition seems smoother.

To complete the A section I need to add harmonies and counterpoint to the last part, measures 75-96.  After those voices are added, then the sketch of this section will be complete.  From there it is on to the B section.  My hope is to get a draft of the B section done by December 9th.  This draft only needs to consist of one to two voices containing the melodies and thematic material to be used in this section.

No comments: