Friday, November 5, 2010

Progress and shifting

Yesterday, I was able to develop and fill out the eight measure introduction for the former "Fate" melody in Time in Memoriam.  However as I began adding layers and filling out the harmonies I started to question the placement of these measures.  The way it is setup the music builds in density and tension.  I am now thinking this build up is too much for a lead in to the solo clarinet entrance.

To me this transition is a little disappointing.  My ear wants more unfolding and development of the material.  It is for this reason that I question the placement of these eight measures.  I am now thinking that these measures would be better served after the solo clarinet and woodwind section.  Too me the whole section could be seen as a gradual unfolding and build up.  I would then be allowed to continue to develop the music.  In a way this would reinforce my concept of the section that leads into the B section.  I had planned on increasing the tempo and intensity of the before the aggressive B section.

I still need to decide what I want to do with these eight measures.  It is likely that I will move them.  If that is the case, then I will start this section with the solo clarinet.  I do not think it would be necessary to try to compose another opening.

No comments: