Monday, January 17, 2011

Composing Session: January 15, 2011

On Saturday I continued working on Time in Memoriam.  In the process I was able to sketch the rest of the B section.  I also began to outline the return to the A section.  This "return" uses a theme which I had initially sketched for the section leading into the B section, however I decided that the first half was getting long so I moved it to after the B section.

Now I have encountered a similar dilemma.  At the present rate Time in Memoriam will be a fourteen to fifteen minute piece.  I am considering cutting the third section and changing the form to binary.  This would mean that this piece would conclude in a fast tempo.  These changes will bring the duration down to approximately nine to ten minutes.


Honestly duration is something that I need to closely consider.  Two things can possibly happen if the piece is too long.  The students could become bored with the piece.  The other thing is that band directors may not program or purchase a longer piece.  Am I thinking about this too much?  Possibly. I am just trying to consider all of the angles before making a decision.


I think the underlying issue that I am struggling with is will a return to the A section make this piece more interesting or feel complete?  Will it add something to the piece?  I do not know.  Before I can decide this I will need to explore all of my options.

No comments: