Monday, January 31, 2011

Forgotten Treasure

On Saturday evening I was looking for something to listen to while I made dinner.  I came across a CD of 20th Century Flute Concertos.  I bought this a long time ago for the recording of Krzysztof Penderecki's Concerto for Flute and Orchestra da camera.  I pulled this CD out and looked at it.  I was surprised to see that the other two works were by Aulis Salinen and Toru Takemitsu.  I had forgotten about these pieces so I decided to listen to this CD.

Aulis Salinen is one of those composers whose music I would like to explore more, but I always manage to forget about him when I shop for something new.  His piece on the CD is Concerto for Flute and Orchestra, op. 70 "Harlekiini".  The piece by Takemitsu is Toward the Sea II for alto flute, harp and strings.  This is an interesting piece because the movement titles suggest an influence by the work of Herman Melville, but the sound world paints a much different picture.

I enjoyed listening to this CD in part because the music contain on it is good.  Also, I had forgotten that I had these recordings so it was like finding a forgotten treasure.

20th Century Music for Flute and Orchestra

Click image to purchase CD form Amazon.com

Click to purchase mp3 from Amazon.com: 20th Century Music For Flute And Orchestra

No comments: