Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Developing the introduction

I focused my composition time yesterday on developing the introductory material I sketched out last week. Right now I have the quintet divided into two groups:

Group A: Trumpet 1 & Trombone
Group B: Trumpet 2, Horn & Tuba

This is for no other reason than the figuration I am developing is two-voiced (Group A). I am offsetting this with complementing figuration in Group B.

This figuration is fanfare-like, using dotted rhythms and oscillating between a couple of notes, however I do not intend to write a fanfare to open this piece. This to me would be cliche and uninspired. (Keep in mind this is in regards to my piece.) While working on this figuration today I began to realize that it has some Messiaen-like qualities. In particular I am thinking about some of his works that utilize bird calls and bird songs like Catalogue d'Oiseaux.

I am going to go back and listen to some of the pieces in Catalogue d'Oiseaux. (As a matter of fact I am listening to the 4th book as I type this post.) I want to pay particular attention to how he develops the bird-like figuration. While I am not trying to imitate Messiaen in this piece, I think learning how he develops, transitions into and out of, and handles the material would be a benefit.

No comments: