Friday, May 8, 2009

Quotes from Stravinsky

When I first learned about Igor Stravinsky as an undergrad, I learned about his three compositional periods, about his masterworks and about his musical philosophies.  I was taught that Stravinsky was against serial music.  He did not believe in twelve tone rows as a basis for creating music.  As I furthered my musical studies, I learned that people's beliefs are not always black and white.  In undergrad music history they try to distill the information and compartmentalize it so that there are clear distinctions.  Theoretically it makes for easier learning.

As I read different texts on music I am always amazed to see some of the quotes by composers or to read bits of information that sheds light on the compositional process of composers.  Currently, I am reading Trackings: Composers Speak with Richard Dufallo, compiled by Richard Dufallo.  In his second narrative, before the interview with Ned Rorem, Dufallo talks about his encounters with Stravinsky.  There are a couple of quotes, from Stravinsky, that I wanted to share.  I find them interesting and true, to an extent.  These quotes also contrast a bit to what I previously knew about Stravinsky.  Both of these quotes date from the late-1950s.

"The rules and restrictions of serial writing differ little from the rigidity of the great contrapuntal schools of old."

"Masterworks aside, it seems to me the new music will be serial."

No comments: