Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dream Cycle

In previous posts I mentioned that I am now working on the 3rd song for Dream Cycle for alto voice and piano.  I wanted to take the opportunity to give some background about the piece.

This piece began in 2002.  After I completed my master's thesis I needed something else to work on.  In a conversation I had with my friend Nicole Davis it was suggested that I compose some songs for her.  We decided on the following texts:

A Dream by Edgar Allen Poe
Echo by Christina Georgina Rossetti
Mutability by Percy Bysshe Shelley

A Dream was composed in Spring 2002.  Echo composed in Spring 2006 was completed on May 26, 2006.  Now it is Spring 2009 and I have started on Mutability.  I have a couple other texts in mind for more songs.  It all depends on how this one goes and how the cycle shapes up as to whether or not I compose more songs.  Either way, I will finally finish my Dream Cycle.

No comments: