Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Return to an old friend

Today I was finally afforded the opportunity to sit down and begin work on my brass quintet.  I have started to look at a page of sketches for brass that I created in early 2007.  After about 15-20 minutes I realized that I am stumbling out of the gate.

This is the first piece that I have tried to compose for brass since my Fanfare for Progress in 2001.  This piece is actually dates 2005 in my catalog because I did a quick revision for my doctoral recital.  Even then, that piece was only two and a half to three minutes long.  So this piece will actually be my first substantial work for a brass group since 2000 when I composed Three Miniatures for 5 tubas.

I think I need to remind myself what brass instruments are like.  I cannot treat them the same way I would string or woodwind instruments.  While I have written for brass in either a mixed ensemble or solo context, I believe that composing for a brass group is different.

I am going to listen to different brass quintet pieces and other brass music to get the sound back into my head.  This will not be too difficult as I am a former (and future?) brass player, so I do have familiarity with the instruments.  It is just going to take some time and all will be well.

No comments: