Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Working out the introduction

I spent some time today working on the introduction to the 3rd song of Dream Cycle.  The text I am using is Mutability by Percy Bysshe Shelley.  I have been stuck on the idea that I need to compose a song with a faster tempo.  The first song, A Dream, has a tempo of a quarter note = 56.  The next song, Echo, has a tempo of a quarter note = 68.  I tried working on some ideas with a tempo of approximately a quarter note = 108.  I could not envision how I would be able to develop these sketches.  

I ended up slowing the tempo down a bit to a quarter note = 90 and I was able to do more with the sketches.  I was able to compose the introduction to this song.  It took me a while to settle on the order of the ideas.  I tried the fragments out in different combinations to see which I liked the best.  My next task is to push forward and work on the vocal part.  I envision the melody using slower rhythmic values, sitting on top of the quicker moving accompaniment.

No comments: