Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Lessons learned this summer

This summer was by far the busiest I have experienced compositionally.  From May to August I received six performances on my music.  Only three different pieces were performed, but each were performed twice.  As can be expected there was a wide range in the quality of these performances.  However, this year I did have some top-notch professionals playing my music.  The Avenue Winds performed my woodwind quintet Visions of a Landscape in two performances (June 6th and July 18th).  Violinist Philip Santos performed my violin piece also in two performances (May 18th and August 22nd).  Both sets of performances were great.  I am really happy to have had these high-quality performances.  These are recordings that I am willing to go back and listen.

As a student, I relied on student performers who would give good, but not great performances.  It is not that they are incapable of such, but at that point they are too busy with school and other commitments to really learn the piece.  Also, most of these performances we done for free or for food.

This was really only the second or third time I paid someone to play one of my pieces.  In the past I was always hesitant because I was afraid that I would be paying for a mediocre performance.  I have come to realize that the performers will do their best with a piece they are hired to play.  Their reputation is as much at stake as mine.  Basically, if they want more work, then they will do a good job.  I am very pleased with the performances by the Avenue Winds and Philip Santos.  I now have a couple of great recordings of my music.  This is a lesson well learned.

No comments: