Thursday, September 24, 2009

Performance blog: 7th Annual Festival of Contemporary Music - August 22, 2009

Each year fellow composer, John Bilotta and I organize and run the Festival of Contemporary Music (FCM).  Every season we host two concerts in the summer.  The 7th Annual FCM was scheduled for Saturdays August 8th and 22nd at the San Francisco Community Music Center.  I founded this Festival in 2003, in part, as a vehicle for my music.

This year I programmed my violin piece Glimpses of the Moon.  After I heard Philip Santos perform this piece at the Seventh Annual Glenn Glasow Memorial Concert I knew I wanted him to play my piece at the FCM.  Fortunately, Philip graciously agreed.  He was eager to have another crack at this piece.

The plan was to work with him a couple of times over the summer, but even the best laid plans can fall by the wayside.  This did not take away from the performance.  Philip did a masterful job working his way through the unmetered phrases.  He took charge of the piece and made it his own without ignoring my intent.  I could not ask for a better performance under these circumstances.

The next step is to find the time and the money to record this piece with Philip.

No comments: