Friday, September 11, 2009

A look ahead at some Fall projects

In trying to get motivated to compose again after a long, busy and sometimes stressful summer, I have been thinking ahead to what projects and pieces I will work on in the coming months.  The first thing I am going to do is complete Dream Cycle.  In previous posts I have noted that I am currently setting the text Mutability by Percy Bysshe Shelley.  In the cycle I have already set A Dream by Edgar Allen Poe and Echo by Christina Georgina Rossetti.  I am also considering 2 additional short texts by Walt Whitman I Dream'd in a Dream and A Clear Midnight as interlude songs, songs to fit in between the 3 main texts.

My next project will be an orchestration of my large chamber ensemble piece Playing in the Shadows.  The idea for this project came from a call for scores for the 2010 New Music @ ECU Festival.  Normally, I do not compose anything for a specific call for scores.  To me it does not seem like a good idea.  If a piece I am composing or want to compose happens to fit a call for scores, then I will consider submitting it.  For example, there is a call for scores that would be good for Dream Cycle so I am going to consider submitting to that call.  Also, I want to do this orchestration project because I have been wanting to revisit this piece and this is a good way for me to do so.

There are other projects/compositions I am thinking about working on.  Right now these are the two that I will be working on in the immediate future.

No comments: