Sunday, November 15, 2009

Bill Champlin: Bichin Tour



Friday night November 13, 2009 my wife and I went to see Bill Champlin perform live at Hutchins Street Square in Lodi, CA.  In a word the concert was Awesome!  Bill and his band played with a raw energy that electrified the crowd.

This tour is in support of Bill's new album No Place Left to Fall.  First off I must say that this album is amazing and it is hands down my favorite album of the year.  Bill and his band performed nine of the thirteen songs from this album that night.  I was excited to hear so many songs from this album performed live.  In addition they performed various songs from Bill's other albums.  There were even a few surprises in the set list including Please Hold On from Chicago 17 and Tamara (Bill's wife) singing You Won't Get to Heaven Alive from her 1995 solo album.

Bill Champlin is an amazing musician.  During a few of the songs he would transition from keyboards to guitar and no miss a beat.  He is very personable not only with the members of his band, but with the audience as well.  Bill would give credit where credit is due.  All of the band members were given their chance to shine.  It was fun to see Bill stand just off-stage during the drum and bass solos.  I could see him as he watched in amazement as Rochon (bass) and Eddie (drums) rocked out.

Aside from the music I really enjoyed and appreciated the fact that Bill and his band had no where else they would rather be.  One unfortunate thing about the show was that only half of the seats sold.  At one point Bill made a comment about this.  He said that some groups/artists would whine about this fact, but he did not care because they were there to play.  This says a lot about the band.

I have been a big fan of Bill Champlin for a long time.  His albums Burn Down the Night and Through It All have spent countless hours in my CD player.  Now No Place Left to Fall is in constant rotation in my CD player.  Seeing him perform live with a renewed energy is a real thrill.  True to form Bill came out front to the lobby after the show to greet some of his loyal fans and sign autographs.  My wife and I hung out and got to meet Bill.  Both Bill and his wife Tamara signed my copy of the No Place Left to Fall CD.  The picture above is a scan of that CD cover.

I really wish I could see his show again on this tour.  However, I do not have the time or money to head up to Oregon or Washington.  If you have been considering seeing his show, do it!  It is well worth the money.

Bill, thank you for a great show!  The CD is awesome.  I'm glad to see that you are enjoying yourself on stage.  I look forward to seeing you again next year!

Band Lineup:
Bill Champlin - lead vocals, keyboards and guitar
Tamara Champlin - vocals (lead vocal on You Won't Get to Heaven Alive)
Jerry Lopez - guitar and vocals  (lead vocal on Lovers Tonight)
Jamie Hosmer - keyboards, guitar and vocals
Rochon Westmoreland - bass and vocals
Eddie Garcia - drums

No comments: