Monday, November 2, 2009

Listening Journal: October 26-November 1, 2009

This week I focused my listening on orchestral music.  Which is why all of the pieces except for one are written for orchestra.  Also, in the Beethoven listing I included orchestra and conductor.  I feel that for major works where there are numerous recordings, I would identify the recording to which I listened.

Karol Szymanowski - Symphony No. 4 (1932)

Hilary Hahn - Schoenberg and Sibleius Violin Concertos - CD
Arnold Schoenberg - Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, op. 36 (1936)
Jean Sibelius - Concerto for Violin and Orchestra, op. 47 (1905)

Pascal Dusapin - Apex (1995) for orchestra
Olivier Messiaen - Un Sourire (1989) for orchestra
Iannis Xenakis - Dikhthas (1979) for violin and piano
Ludwig van Beethoven - Symphony No. 1 (1800) - Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan

No comments: