Thursday, November 19, 2009

Composing Session: November 18, 2009

A few weeks ago I had created a timeline which outlined my plan for finishing Dream Cycle.  I had planned on being done with the draft of Mutability by last week.  Well, yesterday was the first day in which I have composed since I created that timeline.  So basically I can throw it out the window.

With all that said I did have a productive composing session yesterday.  I spent sometime developing the accompaniment for the second stanza.  Basically, I sat at the keyboard and played around with the initial material that I had.  I tried to steer myself away from the repetitive nature of the accompaniment of the first stanza.  I will be using repetition on some level because the accompaniment needs to be fluid from stanza to stanza.  This will create a more cohesive sound instead of sounding like four different pieces (one for each stanza).

Right now I have eight measures sketched out.  I do not think that this sketch I created last night will be the "final" version.  I will need to spend more time fleshing out the material.  Some of the motives and thematic ideas could be explored a little bit more.  This could possibly provide more material for development in later stanzas.  After I work on this a little more, I will begin working on the vocal sketch.

No comments: