Saturday, August 14, 2010

Collecting my thoughts

There are a lot of different ideas running around in my head for Time in Memoriam.  At times these thoughts and ideas become overwhelming because I am unable to write to write some of them down and sometimes I just do not know where to begin.  Instead of jumping in and composing the piece, I thought that it would be a good idea for me to step back and try to get a clear picture of the scope of the piece before zooming in and focussing on the actual music.

On Thursday I decided to approach this piece in a manner similar to that which I used in composing my Master's Thesis, Obscured Ruminations.  First off I considered form.  What type of form do I want to use?  The potential proportions of each section.  After that I thought about the structure of each section of the form.  Do I want to use specific forms within the larger form?

After the issues of form were decided I started to make notes about what types of things I wanted to include in each section of the form.  Mostly, these notes are in general terms, though there are a few specific ideas which I already had in mind.

All of this leads up to my next step, which I will work on a bit today.  I am going to make a diagrammatic sketch of the piece.  This sketch is going to be a graphic representation of the contour, density, texture and color of the piece.  This was something that I did before composing Obscured Ruminations and it really helped me to understand the overall scope of the piece before taking on the sometimes daunting task of composing a large ensemble piece.

So far the outline I have created for Time in Memoriam works for me.  I now have a good idea of the scope of the piece.  As I create the diagrammatic sketch, the piece will come into focus allowing me to be able to understand the concepts of the piece and how it will unfold over time.

No comments: