Sunday, August 22, 2010

Working the Fourth Movement

I began revising what will be the fourth movement of Trackings No. 2 about a week ago.  I skipped working on what will be the third movement as I did not have a clear idea of how to reshape that sketch to include piano.  (Though I do have a few ideas now.)  Also, I thought that this would be an easier movement to work on.  I am thinking now that I was wrong.  I have been really digging in to this movement so that the piano is more than merely a double of the cello and bass or an accompanimental outline of the melodies.

The aspect that was giving me the most trouble was the oscillation I wanted in the piano through the first eighteen or so measures.  Yesterday I finally had a breakthrough with that element.  The great thing about this oscillation is that I creates a different character when transferred into the cello and bass parts as a pizzicato.  I was just messing around with the MIDI patches when I switched it to pizzicato strings and I really like it.  I thought that that would be great as the accompaniment to the piano melody later in the movement,  Now that I have worked this out, I just need to rework some of the phrasing, do a few other edits and enter the dynamics and expressions.  Most of which I have already written out.

No comments: