Thursday, March 3, 2011

Worth the wait

On Monday I was finally able to listen to a CD that I have been waiting to listen to since September: Hilary Hahn's new recording of the Jennifer Higdon and Peter Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos.  I have always been luke-warm to Jennifer Higdon's music.  Some is good, some is alright.  I have not heard a piece of hers that blew me away.  I do like her Concerto for Orchestra and Rapid Fire for flute, but I do not really remember much of her other music, though I know I have heard some.

This concerto, written specifically for Hilary Hahn, has given me a new appreciation for Jennifer Higdon's music.  I will be making an effort to listen to her music a bit more.

The Tchaikovsky Concerto is a beautiful and brilliant piece that has a much maligned history.  This piece is always worth the price of admission.

All in all I am happy that I finally was able to purchase and listen to this CD.  While I wish I did not have to, this album is definitely worth the wait.

No comments: